Re: kernel-package question

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:00:09PM +0300, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just compiled a custom kernel with 'kernel-package
> --revision=3:win4lin1 kernel-image'. the kernel I was compiling was the
> source of the kernel from which I originally installed the system -
> 2.2.19-reiserfs. when running 'dpkg-deb --contents kernel...' I see that
> I have the same '/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19,/boot/config-2.2.19...'. I
> understand from the documentations that I have to manually mv
> '/lib/modules/2.2.19-reiserfs' to a different name. what about all the
> files in '/boot'?. the document say they'll be overwritten. should I
> manually move them to xxx.old, change the links and manually configure
> lilo or is there an automatic way to do it?

When you run -
dpkg -i new_kernel.deb
it should create a link "vmlinuz" in / to your new kernel and change the name
of your old kernel.  You could also -
# cp current_kernel current_kernel.old
so that you have a backup of your old kernel and then you can watch how dpkg
handles your current kernel.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted