Mozilla 9.1has toasted my System

Hi!

This weekend I encountered a ugly problem. I decided to install the high-praised Mozilla 9.1.

Two weeks ago i installed Mozilla 9.0 with the standard Mozilla installer.
And as this has worked pretty fine, I decided to use also the installer that comes with Mozilla 9.1 (wich I downloaded from www.mozilla.org).

I left the installer do its work and went away.
Some hours afterwards I went back to my PC and started xterm (to read my mails). Suddently xterm crashed (it didn´t die, it only refused to accept key strokes or mouse klicks).

killall xterm and opening a new xterm: same result.

So I resigned and started konsole. That worked. But when I tried to start vi, mutt, emacs, .... I only get the same message: "cannot open console xterm" (or so. I am not at my computer at the moment (its quite unusable)).

I swiched to tty1 as root. Similar results.
I can log in but when I try to start any editor I get the same message: "cannot open console linux" =8-(.

Even less states "terminal not fully functional". It workes, but not as expected (more like "more" (ugly sentence, istn´t it?): no cursors, just "Enter"  and "q").

You see, my system is quite unconfigurable now (dselect also refuses to work).

Andreas

PS: I have Potato 2.2 with kernel 2.2.19 "out-of-the-box"