testing upgrade loses vim syntax coloring

The vim in testing tries to access '/usr/share/vim/syntax' but that
directory is in '/usr/share/vim/vim56/syntax'.

I created a symbolic link and now no longer get the error messages but
following up in slrn doesn't give me colors.

--
Certain nations seem particularly liable to fall prey to
governmental plunder. They are those in which men, lacking faith