Re: Installation on DELL Optiplex GX100

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 01:37:46PM -0600, John Galt wrote:

> i810.  You got yourself a TOUGH row to hoe, but it's possible to work.
> It looks as if you need to use xserver-svga...  Look in the archives,
> there's some people who've asked about it before IIRC.

If you're willing to live a bit on the adventurous side, kernel 2.4.x
and XFree86 4.x from sid support the i810 quite well.  In fact, I'm
working from home on such a beast right now.

To get everything installed, I installed potato without X, then
upgraded to sid, installed kernel-source and kernel-package, compiled
my kernel, rebooted and tested, then installed X.  Quite painless.

(I've got a HP Pavilion 6736 if that matters).

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.