Re: kapm-idled

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 04:13:45PM +0200, vester wrote:
> > can anyone explain to me what exactly the process kapm-idled does and why
> > it takes up 50-90% of cpu usage?
>
> Kernel APM IDLE Daemon
>
> It's a pseudo process that doesn't actually _do_ anything.  It just puts the
> CPU to sleep when there's nothing else going on.
>
> > i've never noticed it taking up that much usage until today. i cannot stop
> > it from top...
>
> Yeah, the idled showing up in the process list is a new 'feature' of the 2.4
> series kernels.  Give it a little time and a new version of top will come out
> that knows enough to ignore it.
>
> > i suppose it's got something to do with the apm kernel
> > modules, but i really don't know. it just seems to make my system really
> > slow :-(
>
> Have you noticed an actual performance decrease or are you just assuming that
> it's slowing other things down because of the high CPU usage displayed?

hmmm, i thought it would be something like this. actually, at first i
noticed an actual slowdown (but then, that was most likely to viewing a
java web page with mozilla) which made me first check top...after that, i
was too concerned about the high numbers to give an unbiased statement i
guess. anyway, thanks a lot...i was really worried for a while =)