Re: the .xinitrc and .xsession puzzle

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 12:42:47PM +0200, Alex Suzuki wrote:
| Somehow GNOME just can't remember its settings, and I think I screwed up
| those files anyway. Which one gets read when I start X with startx?
| I don't use a display manager like xdm or gdm or whatever.

Like Andrea I only have a .xsession file, and it contains one line:
"gnome-session".

GNOME is really good at forgetting its state, unless you tell it you
want it to remember.  This can be done in serveral ays :
    o set "automatically save changes to session" in the 'Startup
    Programs' section in the 'Control Center'

    o slelect 'save changes' in the Log Out  dialog

    o click Foot->Settings->Save Current Session at any point to save the
    settings at that point

HTH,
-D