Re: gnome/KDE

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:16:40 -0400
> "Margarete Hans" <whans@total.net> wrote:
>
> > What are the advantages/disadvantages of gnome and KDE? Basically,
> > which one should I install?
>
> Depends. We all have our favourite window manager (although KDE and Gnome
> are more than window managers, they are more 'window environments').

desktop environments, actually.

> Personally, I don't like KDE very much - the 'KDE' angle is very prominent
> and when using it, 'KDE' is in your face all the time - KDE this, KDE that
> , Kwhatever and so on. Running non-KDE apps in the KDE environment almost

...and with gnome it seems to be Gwhatever <shrug>.

> makes you feel you are doing something wrong! I also don't like the look
> that qt (the library on which KDE is based) gives to windows.

I don't like the default KDE setup either, but a couple of clicks gets
you a nice BeOS(?) window style, or motif, or windows, or... and if
that is not enough there are themes and icon themes to play with...
but it is just eye-candy kinda stuff.

> Gnome seems to me to be less pervasive - OK, there are plenty of Gnome
> apps around but they look good - less plastic and more functional, more
> like other non-gnome apps. A Gnome environment looks good with Gnome and
> non-Gnome apps. Gnome is based on GTK libraries and there are plenty of
> other GTK Linux apps around which have nothing to do with Gnome.

There is nothing stopping someone running Gnome or GTK based apps in
KDE, and they should look the same in either environment - if that is
what you want.

> Both are attempts to give Linux that conformity of look & feel that
> Windows has. Both are fairly easily configurable as regards the look.

Look'n'feel is a small part of it; interoperability between apps and
the technical infrastructure you need to do the ActiveX and COM kinda
stuff you see with Windows is more important -- you can't get that
with the traditional X based window managers, and it is still not
quite there for either Gnome or KDE.

> Obviously, these are personal observations and you will almost certainly
> get the complete opposite opinion from someone else. The answer really is
> to try both and see which you prefer.

Definately, but you will need to try both for _awhile_ to get a true
picture... there is a lot more to the DEs than just looks'n'feels.

I suggest installing and using both (if you have the room), then
reporting back to the list in a few weeks with the results of the
test.  :)

- Bruce