Re: HELP - wmakerconf blew my menus away!!!!

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:10:40AM -0400, ChrisHoover@safety-kleen.com wrote:
> I know that this must be a common problem, but the archives for the mailing
> list are unavalable.  I ran wmakerconf as a normal user to change some of
> the look and feel of windowmaker. However, when wmakerconf started up, told
> me that it needed to update the menus.  I told it to keep the current
> menus,and now all my menus are gone!!!  I don't have anything under the
> application menu.
>
> How do I get my menu's back?  This has become a real pain not having any.

Before doing the Debian-to-WindowMaker menu conversion, you need to edit
~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu to contain the full path to menu.hook
(/etc/X11/WindowMaker/menu.hook).  WindowMaker itself is smart enough to look
around in several places (complete list in the man page), but wmakerconf
isn't.

If you don't want to convert your menus, just click over to another tab
without answering wmakerconf's question.  You can restore the default debian
menus by editing ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu to contain

"/etc/X11/WindowMaker/menu.hook"

and nothing else.  (Just "menu.hook" works too, but may cause you to have
this same problem again.)

If you do convert them, you gain the ability to edit the menus on a per-user
basis and use some wmaker enhancements, such as assigning a hotkey to any
menu item.  The downside is that newly-installed packages will no longer be
automagically added to the menus.  (Although I consider that an advantage
also, as the default behaviour is, IMO, far too inclusive.  I prefer to have
only the things I use on my menus.  YMMV.)

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+