Re: login -graphical user interface

vester <a9900876@unet.univie.ac.at> writes:

> one possibility would be to edit your /etc/init.d/windowmanager-script
> (that is, xdm gdm kdm or whatever you are using)...just put in "exit" into
> the first line then they won't start and you'll stay in console...
>
> you could simply delete the scripts but you shouldn't do that (because i
> did and now, on a reinstall of gdm i get an error that /etc/init.d/gdm
> doesn't exist...and if i create it again installation goes ok, but it
> doesn't reinstall the script either...)

Ah yes - the magical incantation require to adjust the rc.d scripts is

update-rc.d         which will strip out the commands to start your display manager.

 update-rc.d  -f gdm  remove

Read man update-rc.d before you try it though!

Glyn
--
                            so here we are then....
                 http://members.tripod.co.uk/Christchurch2000uk