XFree 4, potato and Ximian-gnome

Hello again..
After two weeks of trying to upgrade from X 3.3 to X 4.x I've finally reached my patience limit. Despite a fair bit of help and advice from a number of list members (thanks everyone!) I've been unable to successfully achieve my goal.

I figure one last shot and then I'll move to woody, or.. well I'm not sure what.  ;-)

1. Has anyone on this list succesfully upgraded a potato box which is running Ximian gnome to X 4.x?
2. If after I complete all the steps that have been outlined time and time again but am still missing the actual XFree86 file (to which those symlinks eventually lead), what does that suggest?

Marc.