Re: problems with revision D2 NICs

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 09:54:44PM -0400, j.pepas@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
| hey guys,
|
| recently, i helped a friend put together a debian box, but i am
| having some trouble with the NIC.
|
| First, I told him to get a netgear FA-310TX, knowing that it was
| supported under linux.

Did you use the 'ne' module or the 'ne-pci' if it was a PCI card?
That card is an "NE2000" clone.  I have 2 of them, ISA version.

| unfortunately, what came was a FA-310tx Rev D2, which as far as i
| can tell is not supported under linux.

I don't know about the revisions, but did you try it?

| so then I told him to get a D-Link DFE-530tx+, and what came was a
| 530tx+ Rev D2, which does not seem to be supported.

Yeah, a friend of mine has that (I don't know what revision).  He uses
the 'rtl8139' module (now called '8139too').  The DE-530 is a NE2000
(I think), the DFE-530TX is a tulip and the DFE-530TX+ is an rtl8139.

| i dont what it is with my luck, but do any of you know if any of the
| modules in the debian installer will work with either of these
| cards?

Try the above modules ('ne' and 'rtl8139') and see what happens.  Oh,
yeah, and disable Plug and Pray on the Netgear card (if it is ISA).
Simply boot to DOS (use some floppy if need be), insert the disk that
came with it and run their utility.  Disable PnP and remember what IO
and IRQ it is set for.  Then provide that as arguments to the module.

I would recommend using 'insmod' from a shell instead of the installer
just so you can see what repsonse it gives and record any error
messages.

-D