Re: Grub: Does it allow for modularized kernel fs

Otto Wyss wrote:

> Does anyone know if the fs in Grub allows the kernel to load his
> necessary fs as modules? I.e. if Grub contains a an ext2 fs, can the
> kernel load modules from this file system even if the ext2 fs isn't
> compiled into the kernel?
>
> Or since the fs in Grub probably also needs the corresponding drivers
> for the drive (i.e. SCSI), does the kernel still need the same drivers
> built in?

Both the kernel and grub don't care about each other, in fact, both
don't no a thing about the other end [1].  So, yes, you still need
compiled-in kernel support for both the root fs and the disk type this
fs is on.  And, if you want to use other filesystems or disk types after
booting the kernel, you either need kernel support compiled-in or as a
module.

Ciao,
Viktor

[1]  This is not entirely true, since grub recognizes the Linux kernel
as such and boots it in a proper fashion.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/