Re: talk does not work after...? [solved]

> Balbir Thomas <thomas.1037@osu.edu> writes:
>
> > But I am unable to talk even locally on my own pc. Talk hangs after
> > stating "[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]".
>
> Is there something useful logged in /var/log/daemon.log, while trying
> to talk?
>
> 	moritz

Thank you for the tip (I did not know /var/log/daemon.log was the place to look
- so much for a newbie :-). I solved the problem as follows :

/var/log/daemon.log show the following :

Jun  8 20:09:18 mandelbrot in.ntalkd[2744]: connect from mandelbrot
Jun  8 20:09:18 mandelbrot in.ntalkd[2744]: error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/in.
ntalkd: No such file or directory

and there is indeed no in.ntalkd file in /usr/sbin ( wonder why it was not installed ?)

The relavent lines from /etc/inetd.conf are :

talk            dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.talkd
ntalk           dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd

So by looking at ktalkd documentation I tried changing this to :

talk   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/kotalkd
ntalk  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/ktalkd

And it all worked.

b thomas