Re: OT: Plucker with Potato

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 12:08:24AM -0400, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I probably committed a major Debian Faux-Pax by editing my source file
> to temporarily point at the testing release to allow me to install
> plucker.  That is, with testing (rather than stable) in my source file
> I,
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install plucker

Some binaries from testing can be installed as you have found out.  You
probably already know this but you should point your sources.list back
to stable and rerun apt-get update before installing anything else.

In the future you might if you want to try installing a package off
testing or unstable you could down-load the package and run -
# dpkg -i package.deb
to install.

> To my surprise, no conflicts were indicated and plucker installed.
>
> I've even plucked a few sites, and wow, this is a useful package for me.
>
> Unfortunately, no images are being displayed on my pilot. I believe this
> may be due to the older version of netpbm in potato. Also, Zlib
> compression is missing from the viewer.
>
> I would like to obtain the functionality of viewing images on my pilot
> and Zlib compression. I'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion on how
> to overcome this dilemma.
>
> I've considered attempting to compile from sources. However, I am
> definitely a bit of a neophyte and it takes me so long to get things
> working, I worry about breaking them. For instance, I definitely fear
> screwing up the installed package list.

I really haven't used plucker so I can't advise you as to what you need
to make it work but -
http://packages.debian.org/testing/otherosfs/plucker.html
shows what packages are needed.

If you need updated packages off of testing or unstable you can often
compile the source by pointing your src lines in /etc/apt/sources.list to
testing or unstable then run -
# apt-get update
# apt-get -b source package_name

This will build a .deb from source.