Re: List new packages after an apt-get update

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 03:52:30PM +1000, Graham Williams wrote:
> After doing an apt-get update there are two types of packages I'm
> particularly interested in: newly available packages (new to Debain
> since the last time I did an apt-get update) and packages I have
> already installed but that have been updated since the last time I did
> an apt-get update. (I.e., ignore packages that have been updated but
> not since the previous time I did an apt-get update)
>
> Are there any simple command line methods for getting these two lists
> (or do I need to persist in learning what seems to me to be the quite
> un-intuitive interfaces in deity and aptitude).
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Graham

G'day Graham,

"apt-get -u upgrade" will show installed packages that have newer
version then the one on your system. just answer no to the continue
prompt if you want don't want to upgrade them all automaticaly.

If you want to find all new packages you could backup, ( I think this
is correct) you /var/lib/apt/lists directory before the each update,
then compare the backup directory to the newly downloaded list, or
write a script that does the lot.

There might be an easier way to do this ??

Cheers

Joel
--
Anagrams reveal the mysteries.
Windows Two Thousand Professional =  Stoned Sonata: Worship Windows foul.