Re: Help setting DISPLAY to an ipmasq'd machine.

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:01:49AM -0400, maillst@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I need some help figuring out how to set the display variable
> to a machine that is being ipmasq'd on my network.
>
> Here is what I have:
>
> Xserver_machine (192.168.1.3)
> IPMasq_Machine (192.168.1.1 on internal network)
> 	|      (x.x.x.x on internet)
>   ------------
>   | Internet |
>   ------------
> Company_Firewall (y.y.y.y on internet)
> 	|        (10.a.b.c on company lan)
> Work_linux_box   (10.d.e.f)
>
> I want to set the DISPLAY variable on work_linux_box to
> display on Xserver_machine to assist me doing off hours
> support.  It will be difficult to get the comany to modify the
> firewall.
>
> So, is this possible to do?  If so, what exactly do I need to
> do on the linux side.  I do have it setup that I can ssh from
> work_linux_box to ipmasq_machine and from there to anywhere on
> the 192.168 lan.  So I have that much connectivity setup.
>
> Thanks for any help, and feel free to ask if more information
> is needed (the real internet ip's will NOT be supplied to help
> prevent attacks against me or my work).

ideally, you could put together a vpn -- but if company firewall
policy prohibits that, maybe yuo could do port forwarding to
achieve the effect you're after? just guessing...

with a vpn, you'd have your 192.168.*.* subnet appear to be
locally connected to your 10.*.*.* net. it's tres kewl.

with port forwarding, you can have hits incoming on
ipmasq_machine public interface (1.2.3.4) port 7531 forwarded
transparently to xserver_machine (192.168.1.3) port 24680
if you want.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #42 from Pietro Cagnoni <pcagnoni@mclink.net>
: