Using Python's CGIHTTPServer to run CGI programs locally

I want to write CGI programs in python for my personal use to be
executed from my browser on my home LAN.  If I run CGIHTTPServer.py it
says that it is listening on port 8000.  If I then try to access a file
in /cgi-bin netscape simply displays the file.  If I try to access the
file using http protocols then netscape responds that it is 'unable to
locate the server mareschal' which is the name of the machine on which I
am running both CGIHTTPServer.py and netscape.  What am I doing wrong?
I suppose that there are config files somewhere that need tweaking, but
what are they?  My /etc/hosts file contains:

mareschal:$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost       loopback
192.168.0.1     mareschal
192.168.0.2     alexander

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

and /etc/hostname contains:

mareschal:$ cat /etc/hostname
mareschal

What else do I need to change?

--
Marc Shapiro			     "If you drink melomel every day,
m_shapiro@bigfoot.com		     you will live to be 150 years old,