fetchmail:cannot create lock file

I am using debian and after upgrading to testing I am having
problem with fetchmail. My mail is on another server and I have
used fetchmail to get the mail successfully before. I am using
mutt. I was foooling around with .muttrc to get IMAP to work.
I don't know whether this has any connection with the fetchmail
failure. I am unable to see any messages in any log file.

I tried to reinstall fetchmail using apt-get, but it wanted to
remove several packages  and warned me about it, so I did not

Any suggestions about rectifying this problem?

Sebastian Canagaratna
Department of Chemistry
Ohio Northern University