Re: hdd time-out??!!

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:25:14PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 08:01:50PM +0200, ricky@beeldbron.nl wrote:
> | hai List,
> |
> | Since a couple off hours I have this output on screen just after the
> | system freezes. Is this an software or hardware problem and what should
> | I do?
> |
> | hdd: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
> | hdd: drive not ready for command
> | ide1: reset: success
>
> It's a hardware problem.  I used to see this sometimes with one of my
> disks, and the only thing I could try was a hard reset.  In my
> situation it turned out that the power supply was too small to handle
> the disks (it was only 110W, in a Compaq nano-tower).  Other people
> suggested that the disk might be crashing, so I too recommend that you
> backup any data on the disk you really don't want to lose.

it might be some power-save feature, too; and it might not be
anything you can reach via hdparm. (i've got a disk brought over
from windo~1 and it coasts to a stop after about ten minutes of
inactivity, but i've not figured out how to get hdparm to
unravel that. it puts my system into a rather locked 'wait'
state for about seven seconds as the drive spins up; gladly it's
only used for duplicates/backups, but i still get the same error
messages you do.)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #12 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: