Re: obselete files

harsha wrote:
> hi,
>    i had just done a dist-upgrade. but i find that /var/cache/apt/archive
>    has packages of older versions too. apt-get man page did say that
>    obselete packages would be replaced. can somebody tell me what i might
>    be doing wrong?
>
> deleting the files manually doesn't to be reall attractive.
>
>  a hint as to how to write a script that would identify the files older
>  that apr 28 would be really nice. tried getting the find command to that
>  but it has options for files modified not created.

No need for this.  apt already has the capability to clean up after itself.
Just run "apt-get autoclean" and all files older than what can still be
downloaded will be removed from the archive directory.  Or you can run
"apt-get clean" and *all* of the downloaded packages will be removed from
the archive directory.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.