Re: Moving to reiserfs with kernel 2.4.3

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:07:07PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> I haven't done this, but what I'd do is copy the files in / some where
> (very carefully to preserve permissions and preferably time stamps, I
> like to use cpio but you can also do it with tar, "cp -a" might be
> good enough).  Make sure this some where is the top of another
> partition so you can twiddle you lilo.conf, run lilo and use this new
> place as root temporarily.
>
> Reboot. mkreiserfs on the old root, copy the root fs back, reset lilo,
> reboot.
>
> or it may be simpler to tar up you root, boot from a rescue disk (with
> reiserfs support), mkreiserfs on the root, untar your magic tarball,
> and reboot.
>
> Though in all likely hood you'll need to rerun lilo in there since the
> physical location of your kernel image will change.  Not sure about
> that so much.
>
> Just some thought, take with generous portions of salt.

Maybe I will just buy a new harddrive (I wanted to buy one anyway),
partition it, format it, then copy the stuff, run lilo... bang :)
I guess that's the safest way to upgrade to reiserfs or xfs.
What do you think?

--
Alex Suzuki | asuzuki@NOSPAMbluewin.ch | http://www.cynox.ch
To send me an email, remove NOSPAM from the above address