dselect problem

Hello,

When I run dselect and select update, apt runs through my sources.list
updating its Contents, and then I get the following error:

dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/cache/apt/available' near line 7311 package `blt':
 `Replaces' field, reference to `blt-dev': error in version: version
 string has embedded spaces

In the past, I have seen a similar error when doing apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade.  I solved it by editing /var/cache/apt/available
and deleting the embedded spaces.  These embedded spaces aren't really
embedded spaces; they are spaces between the end of the version string
and the closing paren.  However, when using dselect, this file seems
to be regenerated with the offending spaces.  Is this, perhaps, a bug
in dpkg?  Has anyone seen this problem?

dpkg version = 1.9.8
perl version = 5.6.1
Debian version = unstable