[shan.mignot@paris.ensmp.fr: installing XFree86 4.0.3]

----- Forwarded message from Shan Mignot <shan.mignot@paris.ensmp.fr> -----

From: Shan Mignot <shan.mignot@paris.ensmp.fr>
To: branden@debian.org
Subject: installing XFree86 4.0.3
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 09:48:48 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

I've tried installing the xlibs-4.0.3-3.deb and associated packages yesterday
and I've got three related questions:

* How can I have dselect install them without complaining about conflicts xlib6g
and suggesting to remove all the software that depends on it (virtually
everything on my machine as you can guess) ? Do I need to update to a version of
the debian utilities which handles these things better ?

* my video card is a VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage LT
Pro AGP-133 (rev dc) according to lspci and I am not sure the corresponding
driver was part of the XFree86 distributions lately. Does the xlibs-4.0.3-3.deb
support it ?

* The XFree86 distribution indicates a number of precautions to take when
changing version (among which there is the fact that it is highly preferable to
avoid having a running X server when doing it). Are there any similar
precautions I should take when installing xlibs-4.0.3-3.deb ?

Thanks a lot, you guys are doing a great job !

Shan

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |     The software said it required Windows