ftp "reget" via netscape?

One of my reasons for not liking web browsers is their handling of FTP.
Almost always, if a file transfer has been interrupted, it is necessary to
restart from the beginning.

However, on my sid machine, at home, I was able to ftp a partially
completed file, and the ftp process restarted, didn't have to start again.

So I tried again at school, on a woody machine.  BOth machines are running
netscape 4.77 installed from upstream tar balls, not using the debian
installer.  This time, netscape is starting from the beginning of the
file, again.

What can I do, if anything, to set this up as a default?

THank you for your help,

Alan Davis
Marianas High School