unplugged in meatworld (after a reinstall)

Hey ho,

No luck with ALSA so far - but that isn't actually the number one issue
at the moment. After having reinstalled Debian (I had managed to mess
things up a bit the first time), I have discovered that I could not
connect to any server except for those that grace my /etc/hosts file
with their presence. I'm on a PPP connection; configuring wvdial was a
matter of three seconds; I could ping any IP with no problems at all
(I've had a somewhat similar problem back in those halcyon days I tried
to run Red Hat 5.2 for the first time, but there it was a case of
strict firewall rules (when I needed none), and I couldn't ping anybody
at all,  whereas now pinging IPs and domain names listed in my hosts
file works perfectly, but that's as far as it goes: no other hosts are
recognized. Now, I created a resolve.conf with the domain name and the
dns server of my provider in /etc/, put the same information into the
hosts file, and made sure hosts.conf got data from my hosts file first
and the DNS server later. Nada. This ehxausts all I can think of; is
there anything I missed? Maybe I haven't pumped enough gnosis into the
Debian logo or something...

over/out

Pope Mickey XXIII, Patron Saint Ov Coredumps

 "Heart, you were never hot,
  Not large, nor full like hearts made great with shot
  And though your hand be pale,
  Paler are all which trail
  Your cross through flame and hail:
  Weep, you may weep, for you may touch them not."

                                                      -- Wilfred Owen -