Re: Is Woody installable at this time????

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Chris Hoover wrote:

> Is woody/unstable currently in a state to do a apt-get dist-upgrade to?  If not, is there a eta on that time frame?
>
> Thanks,

I've been running it for months too, and it has, for the most part been
pretty good. In fact I really like this new 'testing' version, it doesn't
have the major breaks that 'unstable' can have but it still has pretty
up-to-date stuff. If you're running it on a machine(s) that are
"important" or "production" (whatever that means to you), then I think you
need to have a good reason to upgrade. At work I have a machine that is a
mail/nfs server that I only run 'stable' on. We also have a bunch of
machines in our lab still running stable that are used to assist in
software development. But I have another desktop machine that is pretty
much my machine that I'm running 'testing' on, mostly because I wanted
newer gnome stuff.  I'm willing to take the risk for myself, but wouldn't
for most of the others that I work with, because any instability in Linux
causes them to lose confidence too quickly. Likewise at home I have some
machines that are running 'testing' because I needed to run XFree86 4.x
due to newer video cards, etc., trying to get the latest kids software to
create another generation of Linux zealots, etc. :).