Re: How do I pass init= to the kernel?

----- Original Message -----
From: Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com>
To: Margarete Hans <whans@total.net>
Cc: <>; <>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: How do I pass init= to the kernel?

> hi ya
>
> you probably want:
>
> boot: linux init=/bin/sh
>
> boot: linux root=/dev/hda1  --  to booth something else??

Thing is, I am booting from a DOS partition, using loadling.exe.
When I use

loadlin linux root=/dev/hda2 initrd=root.bin

(linux being my kernel image, hda2 my unformatted linux partition)
I get a kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:02.
By using

loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin

the filesystem mounts fine, but I then get the
"
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
"
I tried passing
loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin init=1
loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin init=2
loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin single
loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin init=/bin/sh
but still get the "no init found."
I have no clue as to what to try next.
(I believe that the init= is the runlevel (?))

Derek