Re: serial port: LSR safety check engaged (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:14:15 -0600 (MDT)
From: Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
To: John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org>
Subject: Re: serial port: LSR safety check engaged

On 4 Jun 2001, John Hasler wrote:

> I just rooted around a bit in the kernel sources.  Although I find no
> mention of the 'LSR safety check' in the logs, it seems to be missing from
> 2.2.14.  Perhaps you have uncovered a kernel bug.  Do you have an old
> kernel to try?

Ya, but I can get it to fail on that port also.

I dug up an old 2.2.15 boot floppy, it didn't like that there was no
support for itself on the fs (also sans isapnp and ppp modules) but
serial.o was built in - and it worked.

I removed the link to isapnp in rcS.d and rebooted the 2.2.15
kernel (since there is no isapnp.o, it shouldn't matter(?))...
it didn't work.

Anyways... I ended up fiddling with setserial (eventually going back
to manual), rebooting a few times (flip-flopping between 2.4.3 and
2.2.15)... and all of a sudden it works again. :/

I'm suspecting setserial's autosave code, maybe it gets confused
easily if all the bits (stuff in /etc and /var) are not consistent;
although I wouldn't rule out some side-effect like interaction between
isapnp and setserial.

- Bruce