Re: 486 router is very slow

Forrest English <forrest@truffula.net> writes:

> a 486 33 should be fine, and able to handle up to about 700KBps, the limit
> of the isa bus.

Hmmm... there would still be a high CPU cost.  And for routing, you'd
have two cards, so if that 700Kbps is the max speed of the bus,
wouldn't you only be able to do half on each card?

On a P60 I had doing server duty, a full-out FTP on the local
interface would take 50% of the CPU (in system usage) with an ISA card
(3c509).  I could definitely see it taking more depending on the ISA
card you use and the speed of the CPU.

When all else fails, EAT!!!