Re: filtering email via perl?

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 12:59:17PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 10:25:26AM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > okay. procmail and i are getting a divorce. we just don't
> > see eye-to-eye any more.
>
> I don't know what MTA you use, but if you're on speaking terms with exim,
> it's got a pretty good set of filtering capabilities that you can just
> put into .forward.  Not perl, though.

but it uses the same regex engine that perl does, and the
syntax is nice and clean, so the learning curve nearly
disappeared.

to procmail, i say: "feh!"

compare these two--

	# .procmailrc
	:0:
	* ^From:.*@.*agf(g|inance).com
	agf

	:0:
	* ^From:.*@.*cmcone.com
	cmc

	:0:
	* ^From:.*kat.*@serensoft.com
	snoog

	:0:
	* ^From:.*katrill@.*aol.com
	snoog

	:0:
	* ^Subject:.*free-thinkers
	flint-school

versus

	# exim filter
	if $return_path matches "agf(g|inance)\.com" then
		save Mail/agf
	elif $return_path ends "cmcone.com" then
		save Mail/cmc
	elif $return_path matches "kat.*@serensoft.com"
	or $return_path matches "katrill@.*aol.com" then
		save Mail/snoog
	elif $h_subject: contains "free-thinkers" then
		save Mail/flint-school
	endif

i'm feeling much better, now.

--