Total Confusion End

I have tried every suggestion posted on this web site, including the latest by csj and Robert Ruzback.

It seems that I have two choices: give up on linux or buy a new computer. Since my computer is less than two years old, I do not plan to buy a new computer soon.

Redhat and Debian on two separate partitions have the same problem, they can get connected but do not get onto the internet. As far as I know, they have only two things in common, the same swap partition and BIOS. Since I had the same trouble with only one of these operating systems installed, I doubt that it is the swap partition causing my problem.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help.