Re: Connecting to internet & KDE

Le Dimanche  3 Juin 2001 01:21, John Hasler a écrit :
> > This is what I can find in syslog after trying to connect using kppp
>
> If you insist on using kppp you will have to edit /etc/ppp/options and
> change 'auth' to 'noauth' (I think that will do it: I don't use kppp and
> don't like it).

Ok, it works - but isn't there a better solution? File /etc/ppp/options says:
"Please do not disable this setting. ... Use the call option to disable
authentication for specific peers.

> I'd still like to know what you mean by "I already used pppconfig",

Well, I just used pppconfig to configure pppd.
and what happens when you try 'pon'.
I didn't try yet.

> > this what I get _everytime_ when I run 'apt-get install [somepackage]'
> > since I installed KDE packages one by one using dpkg:
>
> What happens when you try `apt-get -f install', as apt-get suggested?

This is what apt-get says in such a case :
"Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Correcting dependencies... Done
  libmimelib1 libminimagick5 librpm1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  amor ark arts eyesapplet kdebase kdebase-crypto kdebase-dev kdebase-libs
  kdelibs-dev kdelibs3 kdemultimedia-dev kdf kdm kedit kfind kmahjongg
  konqueror konsole kppp kscd ktux kuser kview libkmid-alsa libkonq3 task-kde
  libmimelib1 libminimagick5 librpm1
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 26 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
5 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/418kB of archives. After unpacking 69.6MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort."
Of course my answer is 'n'. I answered 'Y' once and apt-get actually REMOVED
all my KDE packages and I and to reinstall them once again using dpkg -i
[name_of_the_package]
But the main problem seems to be with package libssl0.9.6. To install KDE
libraries I had to specify option --ignore-depends=libssl096.
Since then I have downloaded libssl0.9.6 but it depends on libc6 (>=2.2.2-2)
and  my version of libc6 is 2.1.3. Can I upgrade ?

> BTW I believe that you said you were installing from CD's?  What version of
> Debian?

potato 2.2 r0 with KDE 2.1.1
Thanks