adduser

Two questions.  First, does debian use a different version
of adduser than other Unices/Linux distributions?  I'm
trying to set up samba as a PDC.  The HOWTO at

http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/samba/adding.html

says to add a user for a machine using the following
command:

adduser ?g machines ?c NTMachine ?d /dev/null ?s /bin/false
?n bc-06$

adduser on my box does not support those switches.  useradd
seems to support most of them.

Second, I added an account for the machine using useradd.
The name is present in both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
However, when I issue the command

smbpasswd -a -m name

I'm told that "User name does not exist in system password
file ..."  The name certainly does exist in both passwd and
shadow.