Re: Matrox G400 3d HW acceleration under Woody

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 07:41:49PM +0200, Dominique Deleris wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I'd like to play games with my Woody box : I have a Matrox G400
> card, and I'd really appreciate to get HW 3d acceleration to play
> SOF (soldier of fortune).
>
> When I start the game, it is reaaaaaaaaaaaally slow :(, no
> acceleration at all.
>
> Here is my XF86Config-4 file (configured w/ Matrox Powerdesk tool
> and tuned by hand):
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier     "Matrox PowerDesk configured."
> 	Screen         "Desktop" 0 0
> 	InputDevice    "Logitech" "CorePointer"
> 	InputDevice    "Cherry" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
> 	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
> 	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> 	Load  "glx"
> 	Load  "dbe"
> 	SubSection "extmod"
> 		Option "omit xfree86-dga"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	Load  "type1"
> 	Load  "freetype"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier  "Cherry"
> 	Driver      "Keyboard"
> 	Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
> 	Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
> 	Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
> 	Option      "XkbLayout" "fr_CH"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier  "Logitech"
> 	Driver      "mouse"
> 	Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> 	Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> 	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> 	Option      "BaudRate" "1200"
> 	Option      "Resolution" "100"
> 	Option      "Buttons" "3"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier   "Pana"
> 	HorizSync    31.0 - 64.0
> 	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "MGA"
> 	Driver      "mga"
> 	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier "Desktop"
> 	Device     "MGA"
> 	Monitor    "Pana"
> 	DefaultDepth     24
> 	DefaultFbBPP     32
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     8
> 		Modes    "1024x768"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     16
> 		Modes    "1024x768"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     24
> 		Modes    "1024x768"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
> EndSection

> [...]

Couple 'o things :\  The Module section needs 'Load "dri"' added to it, and the
DRI section needs something like 'Mode 0666' added to it(might want to read up
in /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.DRI.gz if your paranoid about your
users).  Your kernel also needs to have the right motherboard chipset and video
card support loaded.  Powerdesk in its current incarnation is kind of
crap-in-general anyway, so you might be better served using the usual
configuration utils+matrox's documentation for the driver.