Re: Installation Problems

Wow! That is  a great doc for installing debian!
There doesn't seem to be an update for the BIOS
(http://www.compaq.com/support/files/notebooks/us/locate/1_878.html).
The kernel boots well from the harddrive - it is the filesystem
mounting that doesn't work.
I tried putting root on /dev/fd0 as you described in your doc, but it
still doesn't mount.
I found one way to get it mounted:

loadlin linux boot=/dev/ram initrd=boot.bin disksize=1.44

but then there seems to be a problem with init=
- the kernel says that I should pass init= to it.
I don't know what. (single doesn't work)

What should I try?

                   Margaret wrote:
                   >I assume that no one responded to my original
message because it was
                   >in rich text format so here it is again -
hopefully in plain text
                   >this time.
                    [ ... ]

                  I've installed Debian on a similar computer (without
a CD-ROM drive)
                  and along the way had to deal with the error message
you're seeing.  I
                  carefully documented everything...

                    http://www.lafn.org/~cymbala/Debian/t4700ct.html
                    and

http://www.lafn.org/~cymbala/Debian/t4700ct.html#install

                  In particular, check-out this part:
                    "Here's another way to boot from Rescue Disk that
worked with BIOS
                     version 2.70"

                  My best tip is this: Check your BIOS version.  The
computer I had was
                  given to me with BIOS 2.70 and it needed to be
upgraded to 5.0 (big
                  leap).  Upgrading the BIOS made the Debian disks
work a lot better!

                  Yours,
                  --
                       Robert Cymbala cymbaLa@Lafn.org ...or...