Re. Total Confusion

More answers.

when I ran ismod parport, the response was "ismod command not found".

I ran pppconfig in the standard way, ending with the write and finish command.I then ran pon and got (it is verbose):
ioctl(TIOCSETUP<PPP>):Invalid argument (22)
/usr/bin/ppp: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This could be because the PPP kernel module could not be loaded or because PPP was not included in the kernel configuration:If PPP was included as a module try '/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'. If that fails check t (It ended there)

I then ran apt-get install ppp with the response, "Sorry, ppp is already the newest version".

I then tried the /sbin/mod... and had the same unsuccessful result as before.

I have yet to try the latest suggestion about the kernel. But, I am having the same trouble with Redhat, which is mounted on a separate partition of the computer. It seems unlikely that they both have kernel problems. I even thought that somehow the fact that they both used the same swap partition could be the cause. However, then why would the printer work with Redhat but not Debian?

I would like to respond faster, but I have to communicate with Windows, then switch to Debian to try suggestions.

Thanks for all the help.