Re: Shareing nfs with windows problem

dsh8290@rit.edu (D-Man) writes:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:05:06PM -0500, Andrew D Dixon wrote:
> | Brian Schramm wrote:
> | >
> | > Has anyone gotten the pcnfsd system to work?  I am trying to share
> | > a nfs mount with windows (samba will not work in this case) and am
> | > haveing trouble with pcnfsd.  It will not authorize the users.
> | >
> | I've never used pcnfsd but even the regular old nfsd is picky about what
> | users can access an nfs file.  I use nis with nfs to avoid user
> | authorization problems.
> |
> | I bet Windows doesn't do NIS, hugh?  Maybe a program like Hummingbird
> | would get you around this problem?
>
> Hummingbird is a company, not a program.  I didn't think Windows could
> do NFS, or anything other than samba natively (M$ Windows : Batteries
> Not Included :-)).  Anyways, My dad has a Solaris box and an NT box at
> work and said that they use one of Hummingbird's products (I forget
> which one, but it isn't eXceed ;-)) to provide NFS access from
> Windows.
>
> -D

I am not sure about Hummingbirds features, but I know that
Frontier Technologies "SuperTCP Suite" does this. Seems like
I had some problems if trying to use both nis and samba/lm
on the windows box. Also comes with an X server.

--
*  For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*  that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *