Re: Re. Total confusion

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:52:12PM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
| In answer to some questions.
| My ISP connection is dialup.

Have you tried wvdial?  Sometimes that works quite nicely with little
configuration necessary.

| When I try to install the lp module in the debian install process, I get
| the message "installation failed". I think that I succeeded at one time
| afterward using apt-get. It still didn't work.I tried dmesg and no printer
| was shown.

AFAIK the 'lp' module was the old way the linux kernel handled the
parallel port.

You need the parport and parport_pc modules.  (Just add them to
/etc/modules)

| Testing with echo "hello" > /dev/lp0 does not use /etc/printcap. However, I
| have used magicfilter and apsfilter with no success.

Do you get any results from echoing "hello"?  What about after loading
the parport and parport_pc modules?

HTH,
-D