Re: Qs about Java 2 and potato, also q about Herald installation

alice@cascoind.com wrote:

> Hi... tried to find this information in the archives first but it looks like
> the search engine's being a tad misanthropic the last couple of days....
> anyways... my questions...
>
> I'm currently running the potato distribution... is Java 2 available for
> that? How do I tell if I have Java 2 installed?

Usually, to find if a package is installed you could use the command "dpkg -l
package_name", in this case you should know the name of the package that provide
the program/service. To know what package provide what, you could use the
command "apt-cache search program/service_name".

So in your case, "apt-cache search java" should give enough info to which
package to install, but from what i know, there isn't a java2 package in the
standard potato.

Don't remember the URI, but if you do a quick search on google for "blackdown"
you should be able to find the  j2re1.3 (runtime environment, the package you
probably need)  j2sdk1.3 (development kit, aka the compiler).

> Herald is the java msn messenger client... when I go to sourceforge
> and get the file it comes as a .jar file. I can't find _any_ documentation
> on how to install it. (And I've spent about a day scouring the 'net)
> What do I do with this file? :)

I've only installed the package to use with mozilla, and don't even know if it
works (at least it shows up in the plugins page... =)

> Suggestions to RTFM are happily accepted if they come with a
> pointer to the relevant FM ;)

Ok found, the URI http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html and is referred,
quoting the description,  "for specific information on the Linux port" or you
can look in the howto...

Hope this helps.

Andrea