Re: where oh where has my little kernal gone?

On Wed, 30 May 2001, "Paul Valley" wrote:
 in <html> gack!
Anyway, cd /usr/src/linux - that's the directory where your kernel source is stored.  But if you've never done this before (which I'm guessing you haven't) I think it would be well worth your while to check out a few sites online that offer walkthroughs for recompiling your kernel - it's not that tough, but if you mess up, your left with an unbootable computer.  A few suggestions -
first, make a boot disk.
next, if you're recompiling anyway, download a more recent kernel version.  There are quite a few new features that you may want to take advantage of, including support for a lot more sound cards.
lastly, brew a pot of coffee, and go to it.  It's a little nerve wracking the first time, but the first time you get it to boot with a custom kernel, it's kind of a nice feeling . . (awww...)
Good luck,
Steve