Re: recompiling the debian way...

On Thu, 31 May 2001, "Yves Berthiaume" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Since I'm new to this list. I don't know if this *off-topic*...
>
> I'm having trouble installing my new kernel package. When I do a
> dpkg --install /usr/src/mynewkernelpkg...
>
> It complains that there is a conflict with pcmcia-module not being the same
> release number. Then quits...
>
> I don't wanna use pcmcia on my setup since there is none. I read somewhere
> that you can remove it.. (how?) or just compile it in. I couldn't find info
> on it and I'm at a loss.. and stuck here. Can anyone help me since I'm new
> to deb packages?.
>
> Debian version is Newton 1.0(Progeny)
> kernel 2.2.19

What I think you mean is that you installed a standard kernel from a setup disk, and haven't recompiled it yourself, because they generally are set as default to have PCMCIA support.  You can recompile your kernel - there are several good sites to help you through this - and that way you won't have a PCMCIA module to conflict with.  The other thing you might consider doing is upgrading your version of debian to the latest stable - change your /etc/apt/sources.list to 'potato' instead of 'newton'.  The newer packages may not conflict, and without knowing what the package is, I can't really tell you any more.
Good luck,
Steve