Re: ifconfig

Michael Schmidt <michael.schmidt@koti.tpo.fi> wrote:

|> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
|>
|> Currently I am running this as root each time I reboot the
|> laptop. I am sure I can find somewhere to put this, but I would
|> like to put it in the "correct" location.

In Debian, there is a file /etc/network/interfaces where this kind of
information is kept. It is a configuration file for the scripts ifup
and ifdown which are run at boot time and shutdown time respectively
(both have nice clear man pages). Ifup and ifdown are in turn called
from the script `networking' which is in /etc/init.d/

I believe you would want to include a stanza of the following form in
the `interfaces' file:

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0