Re: Prog. Languages (was: question?)

Romain Lerallut wrote:
> Usually, you choose a language depending on what you want done. YMMV.

  yes, that's most important - depending on what you will do/what
interests you, choose appropriate language...

  in general, go for design/analysis not for particular language -
programming is fairly abstract science/art/magic...

> 1) start with interpreted languages, such as Perl. ( not Python which is strongly object-oriented). It's easy to create a proglet that is useful , and very satisfying.
>
> 2a) then learn about object-oriented languages (Java, Python). I would advise *against* starting with an OO language, since it *might* be harder to come back to
> non-OO languages.

  I'd say it's the other way around - learn OO first and use it, even if
the language does not support it. never go back to straight structural
programming...

> 2b) then learn about compiled languages such as C. C is harder to program than interpreted languages, mostly because of memory management issues, but it is also IMHO very elegantly written.

  learn C++ where you don't have to deal with memory that much and you
have lot of fairly convenient data types/structures/containers that take
care of themselves (strings, arrays etc.)

  you might also try java but I find it quite simplistic and messy (just
learning it so my opinion is not very authoritative)

	erik