Re: IPv6

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:33:35AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> I've noticed that the debian installer includes the option to add ipv6
> support to the kernel. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to adding
> this to a workstation? Would it break compatibility with the current
> version?

No, adding IPv6 support will not break compatibility with any IPv4
stuff.  However, unless you know you'll be doing IPv6 work it won't do
you any good to add support for it.  Since at this point IPv6 work
basically means IPv6 development, testing, debugging, etc you definitely
already know it if you need it.

Additionally, there are (last I knew) some problems with IPv6 in Linux
when inserted as a kernel module.  It only works right when compiled in.
This info may be outdated though.

If you are interested in doing IPv6 work, check out the debian-ipv6
mailing list.

noah