xdm and gdm

Hi,
      I have been using xdm as my display manager recently on Debian
Potato 2.2. I would like to replace it by gdm. For this I have the
following queries :-
1) Recently I read in this mailing list that to use gdm I have to remove
xdm. Cannot both of them coexist? i.e. both of them are installed. If
yes then what precautions do I have to take?
2) From where can I obtain .deb packages of gdm?
3) Where Can I find good documentation about gdm? What I am looking for
is installation, configuration and maintance.
        I have some experience in linux/unix field. So if the answers are
a little technical in nature are also welcome.
Thanks in Advance to all those who answer
----
Have a Nice day.
To mail me remove ".removethispart." from my email id, including the
dots/period