Re: installation

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 01:10:09PM +0200, Puppy wrote:
> Hello every one,
> I'm a beginner and when i arrived at the step where i can choose
> the additional software during the installation i choose the voice simple Ok
> !
> But when i arrived to simple menu install it not compare  the packages
> (gnome ecc, ecc)
> What can i do for install a simple host with gnome, gcc and man ?
> thanck in advance

Use "apt-get" make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list is pointed to your
cdrom or http depending on where you want to install from.  It's good to
do http so you can snag security updates.

Take a look at the man page but to install packages, the short of it is -
# apt-get install package_name

To install security patches -
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

You can search for package names at the web-site.  I would try something
like task-gnome* for installing gnome.
hth,
kent

--