Re: small school: replacements for MS Word and Excel

Corel is selling the whole WordPerfect Office suite, which includes WordPerfect and Quattro Pro.

http://linux.corel.com/products/wpo2000_linux/index.htm

The suite is about $150 a copy. buy.com has a 5-pack which is a better deal, but it is back-ordered.

There is also Applix:

http://www.vistasource.com/products/axware

Applix is an office suite available for Linux. It's inexpensive and I have heard good things about it but I have not tried it. I think list price is $100 a copy, but you might be able to get a deal since you are a school.

Staroffice is very large and slow. If AbiWord was too slow for you, Staroffice is a non-starter. Probably Applix is the best bet: native, and small. (Corel's stuff is Windows software ported using WINE libraries.)

Good luck.