file search in package archives?

dpkg -S does this on installed packages but is there a way to search for a file in packages that aren't installed yet? Does apt store this information?

I found http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages which works fine but was wondering if there was a way to do it without a net connection.

Being able to do this probably would've saved me a lot of trouble when my kernel compile failed last night with "as86: Command not found"...

TIA

P.S. the installer in potato is a vast improvement over slink, IMO. The "simple" package selection makes a world of difference. I'm one step closer to switching over to Debian :-)