Re: [mrz.pct@home.com: XF86 4.x?]

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>----- Forwarded message from MRZ <mrz.pct@home.com> -----
>
>From: MRZ <mrz.pct@home.com>
>To: branden@debian.org
>Subject: XF86 4.x?
>Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:34:59 -0700
>
>Hi.
>I understand you're the maintainer of the XFree86 packages on Debian?
>I just wanted to ask you what the planned schedule  (is there one ?) is
>for X 4.x to become available via apt-get.
>Before you ask, yes I am aware that there are pre-official debs
>currently available but I've had no luck getting them installed without
>losing my system.

Presumably this means you're running potato (X 4 is already in the
testing/unstable distributions). There are no plans to update potato
itself to XFree86 4, as the stable distribution isn't updated except for
security updates and other major bugs. The most recent unofficial apt
archive of X 4 for potato I know of is:

  deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/ xf403_potato/i386/
  deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/ xf403_potato/all/

Of course, http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf403_potato/READ.THIS says
not to bug Branden about them. :)

What problems are you encountering when trying to install these packages
on potato? If you give more details to us on debian-user, maybe somebody
can help.

Cheers,