"AT keyboard not present?"

Hello, all --

I have one more question and as usual, would be very grateful for any help.

I am currently using kernel 2.2.14 because I can't load up anything newer.
The 2.4.x kernels give me an error message on load "AT keyboard not present"
and, of course, I then can't use my keyboard.  I checked the list archives
for this and did find it (once) but the question was left somewhat
unresolved because the person decided to go a different route.  I did try
the suggestions I saw -- changing the BIOS and/or the keyboard.  I don't
have the option listed for changing my USB settings in BIOS, it is set to
AUTO.  My keyboard is not a USB, although it does have USB ports on it and
seems to be operational even if the P/S2 connector is not connected but the
USB is.  It is a Microsoft Natural.  Just in case, I did try a plain
keyboard with no success.  This, and a few other posts I saw in the
archives, makes me wonder if this is related to my motherboard.  My
motherboard is an ASUS A7A266.

I did try compiling kernel 2.4.5 with USB support and keyboard support to no
avail.

Thanks, as always, in advance,

Jean Abercrombie